The poet, dramatist, art critic, engraver and illustrator T. Sturge Moore (1870-1944) was a seminal figure in the literary and artistic circles of London in the early decades of the twentieth century. His prolific creative and artistic output, sitting on the cusp between nineteenth-century aestheticism and twentieth-century modernism, can most effectively be classed as post-symbolist. An innovator, though no radical, Sturge Moore was well-respected by his contemporaries and exerted a strong influence on the course of the artistic and literary movements of his time.
The first part of the Sturge Moore Collection, acquired by the Institute of English Studies, School of Advanced Study in 2009, comprises 139 books from his personal library, by him and by other writers, published between 1868 and 1942: chiefly poetry, plays and essays on literature. Many of these contain his inscriptions to members of his family or his corrections or other annotations. Most visually striking is a copy of Shaw’s Saint Joan (1924) with mounted colour plates by Charles Ricketts, inscribed to Sturge Moore by the illustrator. Items with classmarks beginning [S.M.C.] 140 or above are books and pamphlets previously owned by Sturge Moore which arrived in the Library with the first part of his archive (MS978) in the 1960s.
The Sturge Moore Collection complements the Sturge Moore archive at Senate House Library and books by Sturge Moore or from his library now held in the Sterling Library to form the world’s largest collection of T. Sturge Moore materials.
For more information on the collection visit its pages on the Senate House Library website.