Visiting Research Fellows
Current Visiting Research Fellows to the Institute of English Studies:
- Dr Gert Buelens (Universiteit Gent) is working on a scholarly edition of Henry James’s Confidence and Washington Square (Cambridge University Press).
- Professor Marie-Françoise Cachin is researching for a project titled: 'British Book Publishing and the Search for Lost Archives of the Booktrade'.
- Dr Mary Coghill (Fellow, London Metropolitan University): research title: The Development of Roman Jakobson’s semiotic interpretation of poetic form and function with special reference to his axial model of the poles of language: metaphor and metonymy; and the application of this developed model to the construction of city poetics with reference to Vladimir Mayakovsky’s poetry.
- Professor Haruko Momma (New York University): 'Ad Populum: Ælfric’s homilies, intercessory prayers, and the construct of the otherworld' as part of a book project tentatively titled 'Institutions and speech acts: a social history of prayers in early medieval England'
- Dr Aakanksha Virkar-Yates (University of Sussex) is completing a monograph on The Mysticism of Gerard Manley Hopkins which will be published by Ashgate. Her study moves against the current tide of literary criticism in placing the nineteenth-century Jesuit poet within the tradition of Christian mysticism. She argues for the central influence on Hopkins of the "philosophical spirituality" which originates in the early Alexandrian school with Clement of Alexandria and Origen.
- Dr Benjamin Ware (University of Manchester) is completing his monograph Modernism and the Ethical Turn.