Lectures and Readings
The Institute runs an extensive annual programme of lectures and readings on a wide range of subjects, both general and specialised, within the broad area of English studies.
25 January 2014: 15th Annual Virginia Woolf Birthday Lecture. Professor Dame Hermion Lee (Wolfson Collge, Oxford): 'To pin down the moment'. Hosted by the Institute for the Virginia Woolf Society. £15 VW Society and IES Members/concessions. £20 non-members standard. The price includes a wine reception to follow the lecture and a printed copy of the lecture to be posted. Click here to book.
8 May 2014 (6pm, The Chancellor's Hall): The Annual Palaeography Lecture. James Willoughby (New College, Oxford): 'The Hand of Ralph of Coggeshall. Chronicle-Making in the Reign of King John'.
Recent past lectures:
- The Annual Lecture of the Senate House Library Friends by Stella Butler (University Librarian and Keeper of the Brotherton Collection, University of Leeds): 'Treasures untold: the opportunities and challenges of the UK's rich library heritage': 7 November 2013
- Contemporary Narrative and the Coming of Ageing: Paul Bailey in conversation with Courttia Newland: 30 October 2013.
- The Charles Holden Lecture by Andrew Green (former Librarian of the National Library of Wales): " Tangible intangibility": the present and future of research libraries: 10 October 2013
- The Annual Wordsworth Lecture by Professor Stephen Gill (Lincoln College, Oxford): '"A Sea Rolling High: Wordsworth in 1804': 8 October 2013
- Wasafiri Poetry Evening (with Jay Bernard; Merle Collins; John Mateer; Karen McCarthy-Woolf; Roger Robinson and Warsan Shire. Hosted by Anthony Joseph): 3 October 2013
- 3rd John La Rose Memorial Lecture by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong’o: Facing up to the Colonial Past': 2 October 2013.
- AfroEurope@ns IV Launch Event (with Gabriel Gbadamosi; Tomáš Zmeškal; Ava Vidal; Shirley Thompson and Alexander D. Great): 1 October 2013.
- Hilda Hulme Memorial Lecture: Professor Martin Mueller (Professor emeritus of English and Classics, Northwestern University, Illinois): ' "Shakespeare His Contemporaries": Exploring Early Modern Drama in a Digital Environment': 2 July 2013
- Research Symposium on the Cowell Manuscript: Karen Attar, Peter Bower, Nicholas Eastaugh and James Shapiro (Seng Tee Lee Visiting Professor): 19 June 2013: PODCAST
- John Coffin Memorial Irish Studies Lecture: Professor Emeritus Cormac Ó Gráda (University College Dublin): " 'Because she never let them in': Irish Immigration a Century Ago and Today": 9 May 2013: PODCAST
- John Coffin Memorial Palaeography Lecture: Professor Mirella Ferrari (Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milan): "From Milan to Europe: the transmission and diffusion of the works of St Ambrose": 2 May 2013: PODCAST
- Inaugural Arden Shakespeare Lecture, by René Weis: 5 December 2012: PODCAST
- Annual Wordsworth Lecture, by Seamus Perry: 29 November 2012: PODCAST
- John Coffin Memorial Lecture. by Jane Landman: 23 November 2012: PODCAST